Birth: 24 September 1899
Place or Registered Place of Birth: New York City, New York, U.S.A.
Baptism: Not Known
Place of Baptism: Not Known
Death: 9 September 1974 - Aged 75
Place or Registered Place of Death: Leeds Castle, Maidstone, Kent
Father: Almeric Hugh Paget
Mother: Pauline Payne Whitney
Date of Marriage:
1. 16 July 1919
2. 11 May 1925
3. 4 November 1931
Place or Registered Place of Marriage:
1. St. Margaret's Church, Westminster, London
2. Guildford, Surrey
3. Kensington, London
Marriage to Charles John Frederick Winn:
Pauline Katherine Winn (1920-)
Susan Mary Sheila Winn (1923-2001)
Marriage to Adrian William Maxwell Baillie:
Sir Gawaine George Hope Baillie (1934-2003)
Hon. Olive Cecilia Paget was born between 1896 and 1904. She was the daughter of Almeric Hugh Paget, 1st and last Baron Queenborough and Pauline Payne Whitney. She married, firstly, Hon. Charles John Frederick Winn, son of Rowland Winn, 2nd Baron Saint Oswald of Nostell and Mabel Susan Forbes, on 16 July 1919. She and Hon. Charles John Frederick Winn were divorced in 1925. She married, secondly, Arthur Thomas Filmer Wilson-Filmer, son of Arthur Stanley Wilson-Filmer, on 11 May 1925. She and Arthur Thomas Filmer Wilson-Filmer were divorced in 1931. She married, thirdly, Sir Adrian William Maxwell Baillie of Polkemmet, 6th Bt., son of Sir Robert Alexander Baillie of Polkemmet, 4th Bt. and Isabel Wilkie, on 4 November 1931. She and Sir Adrian William Maxwell Baillie of Polkemmet, 6th Bt. were divorced in 1944. She died on 9 September 1974. She lived at Leeds Castle, Maidstone, Kent, England.
The Times - July 17, 1919
The marriage of the Hon. Charles John F. Winn, of the 10th Hussars, second son of the late Lord St. Oswald, and the Hon. Olive Cecilia Paget, elder daughter of Lord Queenborough, took place yesterday at St. Margaret's Church, Westminster. The ceremony was performed by the rector, Canon Carnegie, and Canon Edgar Sheppard (Sub-Dean of the Chapels- Royal), and the Rev. J. S. Gibbs, a former Chaplain to the Forces, took part in the service.
Lord Queenborough gave his daughter away. She wore a gown of white Windsor satin, veiled completely with old family Brussels lace, of which the Court train also was formed. Her tulle veil was secured by silver ribbon and orange blossoms around her hair, and orange blossom formed a high and narrow waist band to the gown. Her bouquet was of white lilies.
There were two small trainbearers - Master Henry Paget, son of Lord and Lady Victor Paget, and Miss Pamela Howard. They were followed by two more children-Lady Faith Montagu and the Hon. Anthony Herbert-and four rather older bridesmaids-the Hon. Dorothy Paget (sister of the bride), Lady Patricia, Herbert, the Hon. Elizabeth Jolliffe and Miss Alice Wemyss-the last the daughter of the First Sea Lord. The girls wore white crepe chiffon frilled dresses, having cross-over bodices of taffetas of a bright shade of blue (the bride's favourite colour), and chiffon fichus secured by gold brooches set with a variety of precious stones, the gifts of the bridegroom. Their hats were large and semi-bonnet shaped, and trimmed with blue ribbons and streamers, and they carried bouquets of mauve sweet peas. The boys were dressed in Romney suits, the blouses of white chiffon and the trousers blue satin. The best man was Viscount Ednam, and a guard of honour from the bridegroom's regiment was present, with swords, under the command of Major Littlewood.
They were divorced in 1925.
The Times - September 12, 1974
Hon Lady Baillie
A correspondent writes: The Hon. Olive Lady Baillie. daughter of Lord Queenborough, wife of Sir Adrian Baillie Bart, MP, and cousin of Mr John Hay Whitney, US Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 1956 to 1961, died on Monday at the age of 75 years.
As a young woman she fell in love with the romantic beauty of Leeds Castle which rises from the surrounding lake like a legendary Arthurian Castle. She bought the estate when the house was in considerable disrepair and set about its restoration with characteristic imagination and vigour. She thus preserved and beautified one of the oldest inhabited houses in England and one of England's loveliest Castles.
There, between the wars, she entertained the Prince of Wales, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, ambassadors, ministers, MPs and all her friends. In those far off days Leeds Castle was indeed the centre of brilliant hospitality. But Lady Baillie was also very shy and particularly disliked any personal publicity. Lord Castlerosse was only received on the understanding - strictly observed - that no mention was made of the castle in his newspaper articles. Lady Baillie was a marvellous friend, with the sweetest and warmest womanly feelings. She was fiercely loyal and kind, especially to the members of her household and her friends and dependents in times of need and trouble. After the last war, when she gave the castle as a military hospital, she thought more and more seriously of the preservation and embellishment of her wonderful property. She knew that Leeds was a Royal Castle for hundreds of years and that Froissart had written in 1393: "I heard that the King (Richard II) was going into a beautiful palace in Kent called Leeds Castle" and had been warmly received there. At that time the castle was already 500 years old. It was, she felt, part of England's historic heritage, built first by a Saxon chief (Leed) and turned into a stone keep by the Norman Baron Robert de Crevecoeur. She called upon the help of Stephan Boudin the most famous decorator of his time. In fact, apart from the love of her children and the care of her staff the embellishment of Leeds Castle became her life work. She will be remembered by her friends as a woman of rare distinction, of immensely strong character, and with the warmest human feelings for people entirely irrespective of their worldly position.
It was in 1926 that Olive Wilson Filmer, later to become Lady Baillie, followed in the footsteps of six of England's medieval queens and fell under the magic spell of Leeds Castle.
Lady Baillie's mother was Pauline Whitney, a wealthy American socialite, and her father the British aristocrat Almeric Paget, later Lord Queenborough. After moving to England her mother was described as one of the most successful and accomplished of Anglo-American hostesses to entertain in town and was renowned for her collections of fine painting, furnishings and passion for great houses. Pauline Whitney died when Olive was just 17 years old.
With a large legacy from her mother's estate, as well as other inheritances from wealthy relatives, Olive was able to look forward to an assured future.
She married the Hon. Charles Winn at St Margaret's, Westminster, in 1919 and they had two daughters - Pauline and Susan. The marriage was dissolved in 1925 and Olive became Mrs Arthur Wilson Filmer marrying the nephew of Sir Robert Filmer.
Through her marriage into the family owning East Sutton Park nearby, Olive had established the Kent connection required from any would-be purchaser by the vendor of Leeds Castle, Fairfax Wykeham Martin.
Once the sale was finalised, Olive set about her goal of restoring the moated castle and grounds. Her dream was to create a largely medieval castle and turn the castle's Gloriette into a French Gothic fantasy, designed by Armand Albert Rateau. Already an established collector, she was able to draw on the best architects and artistic advisers in Europe and America, and she enthusiastically set about creating the fine interiors visitors find today.
In 1931 Olive married Sir Adrian Baillie and in 1936 she engaged the French interior decorator, Stéphane Boudin, who took control of the majority of interior decoration in the castle. While the castle buildings were restored and complemented, the park was not forgotten. Olive, Lady Baillie was instrumental in the establishment of the famous Wood Garden. A golf course was constructed in the grounds as well as a swimming pool and tennis courts undoubtedly enjoyed by family members and the many guests attending weekend parties at the castle.
With Stéphane Boudin and Russell Page, Lady Baillie indulged her love of birds in the creation of the Duckery, as well as, in the 1950s, the establishment of castle aviaries.
Lady Baillie spent her latter years with her family and continued to beautify the Castle. On her death, in 1974, she bequeathed Leeds Castle to the nation in perpetuity under the charitable trust of the Leeds Castle Foundation.
Olive, Lady Baillie (1899 – 9 September 1974) was an Anglo-American heiress, landowner and hostess. She is best known as the owner of Leeds Castle, near Maidstone, Kent, England. On her death the castle was bequeathed to a charitable trust to enable it to be open to the public.
Olive Cecilia Paget was born in the USA in 1899, the elder daughter of the Englishman Almeric Paget, who later became the 1st Baron Queenborough, and his American wife Pauline Payne Whitney, the daughter and heiress of William C. Whitney. In 1905 her sister, Dorothy Wyndham Paget was born. When their mother died in 1916, each daughter inherited a considerable fortune. Olive was educated in France and in 1918 she served briefly as a wartime nurse. In 1919 she married Hon Charles John Frederick Winn, son of Baron St Oswald of Nostell Priory in Yorkshire, England. They had two daughters; Pauline was born in 1920 and Susan in 1923. The marriage ended in divorce in 1925 and later that year Olive married Arthur Wilson Filmer. The Wilson Filmers bought Leeds Castle in 1926–27 but were divorced in 1931. Olive retained possession of the castle. In November of that year she married Sir Adrian William Maxwell Baillie, 5th Baronet of Polkemmet, thus gaining her title of Lady Baillie. They had one son, Gawaine, who was born in 1934. Sir Adrian and Lady Baillie divorced in 1944 and Sir Adrian died in 1947. Lady Baillie died in London on 9 September 1974, aged 75. Her estate amounted to about £4.08 million.
When the Wilson Filmers bought Leeds Castle it was in a poor condition, having not been lived in since 1924, and parts of the grounds were overgrown. For the remainder of her life, the future Lady Baillie spent a large portion of her inherited fortune on the restoration of the castle and its associated buildings, and on the park and estate. She initially employed Owen Little, a Surrey architect, to carry out work on the entrance lodges and the stable yard. Much of the internal restoration of the castle at that time was designed by the French designer Armand-Albert Rateau. The work was carried out by craftsmen from France and Italy, as well as from Britain. Later, between 1936 and 1967, Lady Baillie worked with the French designer Stéphane Boudin in planning further restorations and improvements to the castle.
Lady Baillie became renowned as a hostess. The Baillies lived during the week in London and held house parties at Leeds Castle at the weekends. Frequent visitors to the castle were political friends of Sir Adrian, David Margesson and Geoffrey Lloyd who were to become life-long friends of Lady Baillie. During the 1930s members of the royalty, including the Prince of Wales with Mrs Simpson, the Duke of York, Princess Marina, Queen Maria of Romania, Alfonso XIII of Spain and the Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich of Russia were visitors. Other prominent visitors included Sir Alfred Beit, many MPs, including Anthony Eden, and Germany's ambassador to Britain, Joachim von Ribbentrop. Lady Baillie was a lover of the cinema and her guest list during that decade included the film stars Douglas Fairbanks senior and junior, Fredric March, Charlie Chaplin, Errol Flynn, Lili Damita, Robert Taylor, James Stewart and Gertrude Lawrence. Other guests were Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, Barbara Hutton, the author Ian Fleming, and the singer Richard Tauber.
During the Second World War Leeds Castle was used as a hospital. After the war, hospitality for prominent guests resumed, but on a smaller scale than in the 1930s. David Margesson and Geoffrey Lloyd continued to visit frequently. Members of the royal family continued to be invited, including Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother and Princess Marina. Another frequent visitor was John Hay Whitney, the American ambassador to Britain. From the 1950s Lady Baillie's health started to deteriorate. She had always been a cigarette smoker and by the 1970s had become dependent on oxygen and needed the support of a resident nurse. She had given 3,400 acres (14 km2) of the castle's estate to her son Gawaine in 1966, but wanted the castle itself to be available after her death to the public for the arts and for conferences. Not wanting it to be taken over by the National Trust, she made arrangements for it to be administered by a charitable trust, which is now the Leeds Castle Foundation.
Lady Olive Cecilia Paget