Birth: 1663 - Circa
Place or Registered Place of Birth: Daventry, Northamptonshire
Baptism: 13 October 1663
Place of Baptism: Rugby, Warwickshire
Death: 20 April 1745
Place or Registered Place of Death: Pointington, Somerset
Father: John Paget
Mother: Mary Bishop
Spouse(s): Mary Ruddock
Date of Marriage: 5 December 1693
Place or Registered Place of Marriage: Ansford or Almsford or Almresford, Somerset
A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry - Volume 2 - By Sir Bernard Burke
John Paget, baptised at Rugby, 13 Oct. 1663; becoming a member of Queen's College, Oxford, he proceeded M.A. in 1685, and disposing, subsequently, of his family estate at Daventry, in the vicinity of Rugby, purchased the manor of Pointington, Somerset, to the rectory of which he was presented, in 1691, by Lord Willoughby de Broke, and which, with that of Sandford Orcas, he held for 54 years, until his death. He m. 5 Dec. 1693, Mary, dau. of John Ruddock, Gent, of Almsford. Somerset, and by her, who was baptised 21 Jan. 1668, and d. 27 Nov. 1785, had issue,
I. John, Esq, of Pointington, b. 18 Feb. 1694; m. twice; his first wife, Elizabeth, dau. of - Webb. Esq. of Roundhill House, co, Somerset, d. s, p. 18 Oct. 1722; by his 2nd wife, he had an only son,
John, of Queen's College, Oxford, in deacon's orders, d. 5 Oct. 1758, aged 22
Mr. Paget d. 11 Dec. 1765.
II. Thomas, of whom presently.
I. Mary, buried 15 Oct. 1716, aged 20,
II. Anne, d. 2 April, 1728, aged 26.
III. Elizabeth, m. 14 June, 1726, the Rev. Elias Bishop, react of Bassingham, co, Lincoln, and dying in 1735, left an only child, John, fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford, rector of Mells, and vicar of Doulting, Somerset, who m. 1 July, 1771, his first cousin, Mary, dau, of the Rev Thomas Paget, and d, s. p. at Mells, 23 Aug. 1823.
IV. Jane, d, 6 March, 1740, aged 30,
Mr. Paget d. at Pointington, 20 April, 1745. His 2nd son,
JOHN PAGET; educated Queen's College Oxford (MA 1685); sold his estate at Daventry; bought the Manor of Pointington, Somerset; Rector Pointington and Sandford Orcas 1691; baptised 13 Oct 1663; married 5 Dec 1693 Mary (baptised 21 Jan 1668; died 27 Nov 1735), daughter of John Ruddock, of Almsford, Somerset, and died 20 April 1745, leaving, with an elder son and and four daughters:
The Rev. John Paget, born in 1664, possessed an estate near Daventry in Northamptonshire, where he resided, until presented by Lord Willoughby de Broke (whose domestic chaplain he was) to the rectory of Pointingdon, Somersetshire, which manor, since restored to the Willoughhys, he purchased of his lordship. Mr. Paget was also rector of Sandford Orcas, in the same county. He m. Mary Ruddock of Ansford, a lady of good family, and had two sons and four daughters.
SHALFORD seems to have passed from the Crown in 1544 like Stavordale manor and in 1570 Richard and Charles Zouche were licensed to sell it to John Ewens. In the following year Ewens had licence to sell to Edward Hyne. (fn. 27) Hyne (d. 1611) settled Shalford in 1596 on his second son Edward (d. 1610) for his marriage. In 1611 the heir was the younger Edward's infant son Edward. (fn. 28) In 1663 Edward and his son Edward sold the estate to Thomas Strode, James Churchey (d. 1665), and his son Richard Churchey, retaining a life interest for the elder Edward and securing dower for his widow. (fn. 29) Edward Hyne the elder was dead by 1668 when his widow Jane surrendered her life interest to James Churchey the younger. (fn. 30) Shalford descended like Roundhill (fn. 31) until 1726 when James Lawrence Churchey's trustees sold it to John Paget (d. 1745) of Poyntington (Som. now Dors.), a clergyman, whose son John had married Churchey's niece Elizabeth Webb (d. by 1730). (fn. 32) John Paget the younger (d. 1761) left the estate to his nephew John Paget (d. 1782) of Doulting, a clergyman. (fn. 33) John's daughter Elizabeth died a minor in 1788 and Shalford passed to her sister Sarah (d. 1810), wife of the Revd. Edward Bradford. (fn. 34) Sarah left two children Edward (d. 1822 under age) and Sarah (d. 1879) who married (Sir) William Coles Medlycott in 1830. (fn. 35) Sir William (d. 1882) was succeeded in turn by his sons Sir William Coles Paget Medlycott (d. 1887) and Sir Edward Bradford Medlycott. (fn. 36) In 1901 Sir Edward sold Shalford to Mrs. Winifred Ducat. (fn. 37)
Rev. John Paget