Birth: 18 October 1853
Place or Registered Place of Birth: Henrietta Street, Cavendish Square, London, Middlesex
Baptism: 3 November 1853
Place of Baptism: All Souls, St. Marylebone, London, Middlesex
Death: 26 April 1937
Place or Registered Place of Death: Bournemouth Nursing Home, Hampshire
Father: James Paget
Mother: Lydia North
Spouse(s): Elma Katie Gurney Hoare
Date of Marriage: 27 October 1892
Place or Registered Place of Marriage: St. Pancras, Middlesex
Rt. Rev. Henry Luke Paget, Bishop of Chester since 1919, D.D. Oxford, b. 1853; m. 1892, Elma Katie, d. of Sir Samuel Hoare, Bart. , M. P. for Norwich ; and has had issue-(1) Samuel James Paget, Esq., Lieut. 8th Batt. Norfolk Regt., b. 1895; killed in action 1918 ; (2) Paul Edward Paget, Esq., b. 1901. Res.-Bishop's House, Chester.
Oxford University Alumni
Paget, Henry Luke, 3s. James, of London, baronet, Christ Church, matric. 11 Oct., 1872, aged 18; B.A. 1876, M.A. 1880, vicar of St. Ives, Hunts, 1886, vicar of St. Pancras 1887.
Henry Luke Paget was the 4th Anglican Bishop of Stepney from 1909 until 1919 when he was appointed Bishop of Chester. He was born in 1853 and educated at Shrewsbury and Christ Church, Oxford before embarking on an ecclesiastical career with a Curacy at Leeds. The happiest period of this career, he stated, was at an East End mission to the poor. After an Incumbency at St Ives, Cambridgeshire and a brief spell as Suffragan Bishop of Ipswich he was Translated to Stepney in 1909, a post he held until promotion to Diocese of Chester a decade later.
The Times - April 28, 1937
Sir Samuel Hoare's Tribute
Bishop H. L. Paget, D.D., Bishop successively of Ipswich, Stepney, and Chester, died just before midnight on Monday in a nursing home at Bournemouth, at the age of 84.
Sir Samuel Hoare writes of him:-
Those who knew well Sir James Paget testify to his many lovable qualities-his human sympathy, his Christian simplicity, his happy eloquence, his constant sense of humour. Luke Paget, his son, inherited these in the fullest measure. He could not help making friends wherever he went. He was one of the best after-dinner speakers in the country. His taste for good stories was as sure as his taste for good wine and tobacco. For whilst strict and simple in his habits, his very humanity made him appreciate the good things of life.
His Churchmanship was as human as his life. He had been trained in the school of Liddon and Church. But, unlike certain of the Tractarians, he had never let his Catholic principles harden into pedantry or archaeology. His outlook upon his fellow churchmen was the outlook of a parish priest who understood instinctively their hopes and fears.
I knew him first when he was Vicar of St. Pancras. In that great parish he maintained the intimacy of a country parson in the midst of his neighbours. As Bishop of Ipswich, his geniality and friendliness soon broke down the shyness and suspicion that are so often found in rural East Anglia. Perhaps. however, it was in East London that he was most in his element. His time at the Christ Church Mission had left in him an irrepressible affection for East Londoners. His quick mind and human sympathy found in the parishes to which he ministered as Bishop of Stepney an inexhaustible quarry of friendship and human interest.
As to his work at Chester, being recent history it is more clearly in the minds of his friends. I will only say that whenever I visited him in Bishop's House I felt that he had humanized the relations between episcopacy and laity, between ecclesiastical and civil life, and between one branch of the Christian faith and another. Here, indeed, was the central feature of his life- an overflowing and irresistible Christian charity. He was one of those men who make you love the Christian, and one of those Christians who make you love the Church.
Henry Luke Paget was the third son of Sir James Paget, Bt., F.R.S., Serjeant Surgeon to Queen Victoria. He was born in 1853, in Henrietta Street, Cavendish Square, where Sir James was devoting himself to his large practice in the West End. The Bishop's brothers were Sir John Rahere Paget, K.C., the present baronet, Dr. Francis Paget, successively Dean of Christ Church, and Bishop of Oxford, and Mr. Stephen Paget, the surgeon and writer. His uncle, Sir George Paget, was Regius Professor of Medicine at Cambridge. The family were all brought up to a careful regard of religion; they were Tractarians who continued in the paths marked out by Hooker and the older Anglican divines.
Sir James sent his sons to Shrewsbury School, and thither Luke Paget went, in 1868, under that great headmaster, H. W. Moss. He and his elder brother Francis were for a time together at Christ Church, Oxford : they were always warmly attached to each other, Francis in later life referring to Luke as his “very brotherest brother." Luke was not such a scholar as Francis; he took only second classes in the classical schools, but he was obviously a man of wide intellectual interests and culture. In 1877 he was ordained to a curacy at St. Andrew's, Wells Street, W., under the Rev. Benjamin Webb, who was a friend of his father's. Mr. Webb made St. Andrew's the centre of a great organization with services of high musical merit, conducted on what in those days were called advanced lines. After about two years in London Luke Paget went to Leeds as a curate under Dr. Gott, afterwards Bishop of Truro, and as lecturer at the Clergy School there. In 1881, when Christ Church determined to start a mission at Poplar, he was placed in charge of it. No choice could have been more happy, and his ministry at Christ Church. Poplar, was remembered by many poor people in that district with special gratitude. During the five years he worked there he gained that knowledge of the East End which proved so useful when he became its Bishop. In 1886 he accepted the vicarage of St. Ives, Hunts, but a little more than a year later he was again in London, this time as vicar of St. Pancras, where he spent 19 years.
St. Pancras then contained some of the poorest streets in London, and from the parish priest's point of view it would have been difficult to find conditions where hard and devoted work might seem to have such small results. But Luke Paget was always cheerful and hopeful, always attempting the highest, and never ceasing to believe in the goodness of his fellow-men. There was something unmistakably real about him. He resembled his brother, the Bishop of Oxford, in appearance, but Luke was quick to respond to the humour of life, and was not afraid to indulge in his sense of the ludicrous. This saved him often from a despondency almost inevitable in a long ministry in a specially difficult parish.
In 1906 Bishop Sheepshanks. of Norwich, was in search of a suffragan, and Luke Paget was appointed. As Bishop of Ipswich he was in the diocese to which both his own and his wife's family belonged. He took up his new work with zeal, and was quickly known and appreciated in the country parishes of the diocese, which then took in Suffolk. Three years later, however, Dr. Lang was appointed Archbishop of York, and Paget succeeded him as Bishop of Stepney. Here he spent ten years of devoted work, in which the clergy knew him as a colleague, and the laity as a friend. Throughout the War the Bishop counted for much in preserving a cheerful and courageous spirit in the East End, and it was generally acknowledged that his sympathy was a great steadying power in a district which suffered from German air raids. His preaching; too, was greatly appreciated. He was welcomed in the University pulpits, where he was more than once a special preacher, but he also had the power to move the simplest minds. Affectionate and generous in character, he won the hearts of the diverse populations in the East End.
There was one great service which the Bishop rendered for the East End, and for which he never received proper acknowledgement. For it was he who started the movement for making the derelict fish market at Shadwell into a public rest and recreation ground. With the late Sir Cyril Jackson, then chairman of the London County Council, he went to examine the place in one of the old "growler" cabs, and they had a friendly dispute as to which of them should set the ball rolling. The Bishop won, for he wrote a letter to The Times which appeared on June 6, 1911. and in which he appealed to the King Edward VII Memorial Committee to use some of the money subscribed in securing this open space. The old fish market, he said, belonging to the City Corporation, covered nearly seven acres, and there was another piece of land of nearly one acre belonging to the London County Council. The letter attracted much attention, and in July the Bishop went to the House of Commons and explained the scheme to an interested group of members. But the political situation and then the outbreak of the War hindered the project, and it was not till June 24, 1922, that Shadwell Park was opened to the public, who thus obtained a beautiful open space associated with the memory of King Edward, as the name of his mother is associated with the great Victoria Park not far distant.
As Bishop of Chester. to which see he was translated in 1919, Dr. Paget concentrated on the work of his diocese, taking a comparatively small part in the larger life of the Church. Not by nature an organizer, a heaven-sent chairman of committees, or a masterly leader, he was accustomed to describe himself as a born “Suffragan." His best work was done in personal relations with his clergy and the laity of the diocese; they recognized in him a man of God from whom it seemed natural to expect a blessing, and a genial and courteous personality whom it was a privilege to know. Nothing was more characteristic than the pains he took in the minor amenities of life. With children especially he was at home and with all men the best of good companions. So far as his work permitted he made the Cathedral his spiritual home. He loved to mingle with the crowds of visitors who thronged the building on a bank holiday. Whether in the large towns or in the country parishes. which he constantly visited, he moved as a Bishop who loved his people and was rewarded by a very real measure of affection on their part. The jubilee of his ordination as priest occurred in 1928, when a million shillings fund for church purposes in the diocese was started in commemoration. In July, 1931. he resigned, believing that the work should pass into the hands of a younger man. He secured what he described as a modest dwelling in Cloth Fair in the heart of London "near St. Paul's and St. Bartholomew's Hospital-places full of precious memories."
Dr. Paget married Elma Katie, daughter of Sir Samuel Hoare, the first baronet, and had two sons. The elder, after a brilliant career at Winchester, was about to go up to Oxford when war was declared. He was killed in action in 1918. Mrs. Paget has taken a prominent part in reorganizing women's work in the Church, and she is well known as a writer and speaker on social and religious questions.
Rt. Rev. Henry Luke Paget, Bishop of Chester since 1919, D.D. Oxford, b. 1853; m. 1892, Elma Katie, d. of Sir Samuel Hoare, Bart. , M. P. for Norwich ; and has had issue—(1) Samuel James Paget, Esq., Lieut. 8th Batt. Norfolk Regt., b. 1895; killed in action 1918 ; (2) Paul Edward Paget, Esq., b. 1901. Res.—Bishop's House,
1, Harewood Place, St Georges Hanover Square, Westminster
Francis Paget - Son - 10 - Scholar -
Henry Luke Paget - Son - 7 - Scholar -
Stephen Paget - Son - 5 - Scholar -
Mary Maud Paget - Daughter - 8 Months
School Lane The Schools, St Mary, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Stephen Paget - Pupil - 15
Henry L. Paget - Pupil - 17
46, Clarendon Rd, Leeds, Yorkshire
Henry Luke Paget - Head - Single - 27 - Curate of the Parish Church, Leeds, M.A. Clergy - Middlesex
31, Gordon Square, St Pancras, London
Henry L. Paget - Head - Married - 47 - Clergyman of the Church of England - Middlesex
Elma K. Paget - Wife - 29 - Middlesex
Samuel J. Paget - Son - 5 - Middlesex
Paul E. Paget - Son - 2 Months - Middlesex
26 Clapton Common Upper Clapton N E, London
Henry Luke Paget - HEad - Married - 57 - Bishop Suffragan - Middlesex
Elma Katie Paget - Wife - 39 - Hampstead, Middlesex
Paul Edward Paget - Son - 10 - School - Middlesex
Rt. Revd. Henry Luke Paget
Bishop of Chester